Zucchini Bread – Zucchini Recipe #1
Position rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 350Âº F.
Grease a 6 by 9-inch loaf pan with the butter and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until yellow and frothy.
Add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and sugar and whisk to combine.
Add the zucchini and mix well.
Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder into a medium bowl.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and, using a rubber spatula, mix just until blended, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the nuts, if desired.
Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake until risen and golden brown, about 1 1/2 hours. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean.
Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the loaf pan from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn the bread out onto a wire rack, setting it right side up, to cool completely before cutting.
YIELD: 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves, serving 10 to 12
NOTE:The bread may also be baked in two small loaf pans. Decrease the cooking time to about 1 hour.
Simple Version of This Zucchini Recipe:
- Sauté zucchini, peppers, and onions and add to scrambled eggs.
- Shredded zucchini can be added to tomato-based sauces with out altering the taste too much. Zucchini will bulk up sauces from a bottle. Your kids won’t notice.
- Fried zucchini is a great side dish, and a nice alternative to French fries. Dip zucchini slices in beaten eggs and then in Italian breadcrumbs mixed with some Parmesan cheese. Fry until tender in a hot skillet with a little olive oil. I like these dipped in ketchup.
- Zucchini is wonderful addition to stir-fries. This is one of my favorite side dishes. Cut zucchini length wise into quarter inch think slices. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with Italian seasoning. Place the slices directly onto a hot grill and cook until fork tender, turning once. I also grill onions, portabella mushrooms, peppers, and yellow squash all the same way. This dish is not only beautiful but also very tasty.
- Slip zucchini into casseroles.
- Zucchini goes well on shish kabobs.
Cheesy Sausage Zucchini Casserole – Zucchini Recipe #2
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 4 cups cubed zucchini squash
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package processed
cheese food, cubed
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the rice and water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until evenly browned. Drain excess grease. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes, and cook until tender. Stir in rice, mushrooms, and cheese. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Spread into a 9×13 inch baking dish, or a 2 quart casserole dish.
Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Or return to the home of the Big Zucchini.